How to Make A Gross Halloween Dish Full of Tasty Maggot Balls?
Below is an easy and gross Halloween recipe that will be a hit with both adults and kids and can be made ahead of time so you can still enjoy the party without having to work so hard. Maggot Balls are a creepy and kinda gross looking Halloween dish that looks like its crawling with little bugs or worms and more but is really just a yummy meat ball made with meat and rice! The key really is in the presentation- neatness doesn’t count so have some fun!
-2 pounds of ground beef
-6oz shredded cheddar cheese
-1/2 cup cooked white rice (aka “maggots”)
-12 leaves fresh basil
-6 slices of bread toasted
-salt & pepper
-12 wooden skewers
1) Mix the shredded cheese with the ground beef along with the salt and pepper.
2) Roll the ground beef mixture into small balls about the size of meatballs.
3) Roll the balls in cooked rice to coat and press with fingers to adhere.
3) Heat olive oil in saute pan on medium high. Cook balls until browned and cooked medium to well on the inside. Should take about 5 minutes per side.
4) Toast bread and cut into small squares, add Dijon mustard if desired.
5) Add one basil leaf to each piece of toasted bread. Top with a ball and skewer to keep it inplace.
6) Place burgers on platter and drizzle with ketchup.
7) Decorate platter with plastic flies, bugs, and clumps of rice (aka “maggots”).